Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Challenge

As defined by the dictionary:
Challenge
–noun
1.
a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc.
2.
something that by its nature or character serves as a call to battle, contest, special effort, etc.: Space exploration offers a challenge to humankind.
3.
a call to fight, as a battle, a duel, etc.
4.
a demand to explain, justify, etc.: a challenge to the treasurer to itemize expenditures.
5.
difficulty in a job or undertaking that is stimulating to one engaged in it.
6.
Military . the demand of a sentry for identification or a countersign.

I have found myself using this word multiple times a day and in various conversations in the last few days. I notice that recently I have been challenged to be more intentional and even that is challenging. I am learning that to be challenged is not a bad thing, it is good. I feel that sometimes when it seems I've been challenged it is by the Holy Spirit; He is stretching me to go out of my comfort and do something more than I am now.

This weekend away at camp with the kids of the city was a challenge. Not only in the sense that I was one of two people out of a group of 35 that was white, but also just culturally, I was way out of my so called element.

But again, even with this challenge, I was reminded the importance of flexibility in ministry and life. Challenges are not to be avoided or even to run from, but are to be taken (usually) face on and with confidence. There were moments on this camping trip that I was incredibly uncomfortable and knew that the kids thought I was crazy, but all I could do was respond in love and confidence that I have in Him.

Even just talking with Clive for a few hours there and back was a reminder to me of the recent challenges the Spirit has been revealing in my life. I am encouraged through conversation with Clive, Carlos, Gerald & Confessor that inner city ministry is rough and challenging, but not meaningless.

To end this post I just want to share what Carlos told our kids last night during our Bible time, we talked about church and 'challenged' them to start meeting and studying the Bible with us. Carlos presented the church to us with the focus on a family aspect rather than the building, title or location. With this mindset of church and knowing the backgrounds of the kids present he said this:
"Come to God, He changes the DNA. You don't have to get right before getting to God, come to Him and He'll change you. God wants to adopt you into His family."

If you read this and follow Christ, please pray for those who heard this and know what we are all about, pray that their hearts would soften and desire to go deeper.

If you read this and do not know Him, read that again, I challenge you to come to Him, despite all that is going on in your life and your past, Come to God, He CHANGES DNA! He makes you HIS OWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment