Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If we are the Body

Last week I stumbled upon an article written by a prof at Moody and sadly I wasn't able to finish it because of the length, but some of what he said has really helped my perspective on singleness. He had a little blurb about how those of us who are single can find a remedy to the loneliness we feel in the Body of Christ, just as much as those who are married and lonely can do the same. The Body of Christ is to be that. We should never have to retreat to thinking an individual will provide the comfort we need, no that is found in Christ and His Body are the people who show His love in that way. He uses them in our lives. With that said, I have to get out what happened today when I left work. I took some pie to friends and talked there for a bit, then went to the church office to talk with the youth pastor, but ended up talking with him and then another man who works in the office. This man is a father of 5 and a little older than my own dad. He and I share a similar passion for food. After talking food for a bit he got serious. He was genuinely concerned about me. The next 20ish minutes he talked to me as if I was his own daughter and I felt like my dad was telling me what to do. I loved it. He encouraged me to get my eyes set on goals and work towards them. He had so so so many good things to say. I don't know if I can remember them all, but just the fact he took the time to sit there and talk 'dad' to me I loved. THIS was the Body of Christ to me today. This man who walks with Christ spoke things I so needed to hear right to me without knowing the depth of how I needed that. HE was just following the direction of the Holy Spirit. I walked out of his office and right to the secretary's office just to say hi..... or so I thought... She greeted me and I found myself sitting there again, listening to her wisdom, love, passion and seeing her servants heart pouring out of everything she was saying & doing. The 'dad' guy poked his head in and jokingly told her to go home, it was after 5pm. She looked at me and told me, "That's how he's always treated me." She proceeded to tell me about when they first met. She's in her late 50's now, she met him when she was 19, I'd say they are close-ish to the same age. She took him to Bible study, he said he'd only go though if she went to some scientology class with her.... she said she never had to go because he decided to follow Christ at Bible study when she took him. I was blown away encouraged by her story. She not only told me about him and this Bible study, but aslo how God used that Bible study in her life to bring her to Himself. It is so obvious He wanted her! I walked out of the church offices ready to go home, but no, one more person to talk to. The outreach pastor stopped me and asked about the Tuesday group I have been a part of for a few years now. We stood and talked for a while. I love that group, it is a ripe harvest. I long for their hearts to be softened for the truth and freedom of God & Christ. I want so bad for them to be sold out for Jesus. I want what happened to the church secretary and her friend (the dad guy) to happen to these guys. I want so badly to move into that neighborhood and have these types of Bible studies in my own home. I want to be a part of the Body of Christ that ministers to my brothers and sisters and contributes to Kingdom building.

No comments:

Post a Comment