Sunday, March 27, 2011

Comfort and Christ

Who doesn't like to be comfortable?

My friends tease me all the time about how I just relax in my jeans and shirt or whatever outfit I've had on all day. Apparently that's not 'comfortable' in their minds. I'm fine with that, but really my point is not the difference of my friends & I with our relaxation clothing; instead I want to talk about how we all want comfort at some level.

Recently I have been challenged by the Spirit that I am comfortable. My life is surrounded by the comfort of believers. I live and work with people who are following after Christ and living for Him.

Ok, piece of cake, no big deal, whatever you may be thinking. I know I think that over and over again too. Sure I see people regularly and briefly interface with individuals in my building, however I have not branched out and shown the Love of Christ to them, I have not made the effort to be different than the rest of the walled-world around us. I guess I find that even just saying hi or making the effort to put others first in those brief interactions is not 'comfortable' for me and instead of doing what Christ would do, I avoid it altogether and conform to the rest of the world around me.

A few weeks ago, one of the leaders of my church asked me if I have gotten to know people in my building, I shamefully said no. I actually hadn't even thought of it.

Last night I came home from a wonderful Christ-centered wedding. Upon entering my building, checking my mail and casually greeting the door man, I attempted to go to my apartment--like normal, right? Then he stopped me. The door man, the one person I have met and interfaced with the most intentionality (mostly because he is extremely good looking and ALWAYS greets me by first name), he stopped me. He asked me where I am from because he had noticed my Carhart coat and knew I wasn't a Chicago girl. We then talked for about 10 minutes and eventually conversation came to Christianity and church. The conversation flowed so smoothly and I was nervous just because of that! I did not want to hide who the person of Christ is to me, but this was not comfortable either!

My friend came down into the lobby as we were talking, so our conversation ended, but as I went back to my apartment, I was more challenged in this area the Spirit has been working on me. My friend and I spoke for a long while about our fear in sharing the Gospel because of our own lack of faith or distrust of God. The conclusion we came to is that our lives should be examples of Christ. That is truly what I want, to be radiating Christ through my daily life and every interaction with anyone. I want it to be obvious that I follow Him, but not annoyingly so, I want it to be pure, real love of Christ. That come as you are type of love that is warm and welcoming, not condemning and in your face a turn off.

I hope that there are more conversations to come with this door man. I am challenged more now to be intentional with him as well as speak up in a loving way to others I see regularly in order to shine the love of Jesus.

Comfort, is not something high on the list of following Christ. I don't think we need to trash it all together, because honestly, sometimes in cultural situations that would not be appropriate at all, but there does need to be a sense in our personal lives that we are being stretched and challenged to not be so comfortable that we ignore sharing the Greatest News of all, that of Jesus Christ and the freeing life He gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment