Friday, January 7, 2011

High-rise

When I was a little girl on the farm, in that drafty, old farmhouse that dad remolded, I did not think I would ever move to that double wide! And how exciting it was to move to that new house that we got to pick out ourselves and arrived at the empty lot on two trailers.

Looking out the bedroom window of the wobbly, wind-beaten double wide I gazed at the buffalo grass and prairie dog holes, and never imagined I would be where I am today.

I could very soon be living in a high-rise in down town Chicago, minutes from the lake, as well as the loop. Walking to work will be my commute in just 11 minutes or so. For the first time in my life I could be living on the sixth floor of a building and have my name on a lease.

So I wonder, as I sit here tonight listening to the hum of the automobiles outside the window of the current apartment; where will I be next after this likely high-rise that I will look back on and remember how I never imagined living there?

No comments:

Post a Comment