Saturday, September 4, 2010

Country Roads

Oh how refreshing it was to get in my grandma's car yesterday and look out and see the wide open spaces. There is no humidity here. I LOVE IT! It was so wonderful to see farms as we drove to her house. Cows grazing in the fields and tractors parked by barns. I thought over and over again yesterday, "I really am a country girl..." I just love it so much.

The majesty of the mountains struck me as Heidi & I drove to our parent's house tucked away at the foot of the Grand Mesa. Those twisty, windy roads reveal a new surprise of rocks or trees around each bend. Oh the beauty of the wildflowers that grow in abundance on the side of the highway. Really breathtaking.

I feel so loved by my Avant family this week. I am thankful for those who care for me and are my friends. You guys have encouraged me beyond explaination, and yesterday again, I was abruptly reminded of that.

I couldn't help but think about how much I love to travel yesterday as we drove those windy country roads. I just love being in transit. I love going places. But not so much sight seeing, I love to go and talk with people. SO much. So then my question that rang in my head was, "how can this love and passion be a part of what I end up doing?" IS there an option to just travel around to countless places in this world and visit with people? I would LOVE that beyond any other occupation I think.

Last random thought... as my family & I walked up to my brother's game, we walked by the BBQ dinner the FFA chapter was putting on before the game. I had to laugh to myself at the sight, the straw bales used as seats and the ply wood for tables... I almost took a picture to show my Chicago friends, but I knew that would be just ridiculous to pull out my camera for such a shot. It was quite refreshing to see those country people gathering together just like I'm used to.

I got my nachos at the game and was astounded that both of my brothers started on the varsity football team! Way to go! The team won 12-7. I am so proud of those two boys. They are incredible. The weirdest thing of all last night was realizing how much I just don't fit in at all. I sat with our 'adopted' grandparents, and little sister who is in college. I don't know where I belong, I'm not in high school, I'm not in college, I'm not a parent, I don't really know what I am. I don't really feel like an adult... am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment