Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dirty Selfishness

I hate leaving Moody. I Hate it. I hate leaving it alone, I just hate it.

That is the constant banter that was running through my mind tonight at 9:00 when I was leaving campus after meeting up with a friend.

As I sat waiting for the bus, I began to feel sorry for myself, wondering why I could not think of some guy friend to ask to either take me home or help me out. Then I realized that all throughout this day I have done this incredibly selfish thing.

See, the thing is I LOVE to serve others. I really really love doing this. I love to make others feel loved by me doing anything that I can to help them out. I love love love to help others.

But as I thought about my day, all I did was constantly turn down help or other people's offers to serve me. I was thinking that I would be inconveniencing them if I took them up on their offers, or if I asked for help. Then it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe God gave these other people the same love and desire to serve others and I'm being so selfish to not allow them to do what they love. That is just terrible.

So I guess now I'm challenging myself to think differently. The next time I'm offered food, what am I going to do? Take it with a thankful heart? The next time I'm at Moody and headed home, will I seek out help?

I know that I need people, why do I have to be so selfish to shut them out or not take their help or offers?

Lord, even You were fed by others, even You had friends who were with you after the crowds left and the business slowed down. Even You let other people serve You. Please teach me to serve by letting others serve too. All for Your Glory, my King!

No comments:

Post a Comment