Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday Night

As I cooked some food tonight I thought over the last few years how I spent my Saturday nights at Moody.

For a while I was with the Goossen boys every Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. That was back when we couldn't watch movies in our rooms. So usually the four of us, and a few others we would see on the way, would go to the library and watch a movie. Or sometimes make the trek to AMC for something like Madagascar 2 or some other movie they wanted to see and we all had money to spend!

Other weekend nights I spent this last year with Kira mostly. She and I would find ourselves with no roommate for the night and not motivated by any means to do homework, so we would sink down in my dark room on Gilligan (Shannon & I's couch) and watch a funny chick flick or talk and cry. Sometimes other girls joined, but it was mostly Kira and I. Great bonding moments. :)

I learned something today: I NEED people.

I think I thought I had that figured out, but today it was so obvious. I went to campus after lunch and just hoped that I would see people I knew. I did, like Ruth, Janet, Kevin, Kyle and Caitlin, but I dreaded leaving. I knew I would probably come home to an empty place with absolutely nothing planned to do for the rest of the day. In some ways, that was freeing to think about (not having to do anything for once!!), but it was also extremely overwhelming.

Thankfully my dear roommate welcomed me with her cheery self and said "want to go for a walk?". She drug me out the door and we walked a full square in our neighborhood... a good 2 or 3 miles I guess. She bought me a soda and we chatted about how when we're old women (after we kill our husbands, if we ever get married) we are buying a super cute house with a porch and sitting out on it on summer days like today. We will match every day and everyone will know us as "those crazy, cute, little old ladies"!! Shannon said we would walk hunched over and be about 5 inches shorter than we are now :)

All that to say, I learned today I need people. It totally drains me to be alone. I love people. Oh I love people! And then the lingering question in my mind is: why do I want my own apartment?? lol I guess we'll just see how the next few weeks work out!

1 comment:

  1. So, I saw that you posted this link on Shannon's profile and stalked you here =)

    But I'm so, so glad that we got to hang out for a bit. You're such a joy in my life and I'm so thankful to call you a dear friend. And I'm glad you realized you need people. Because we all need you!

    ReplyDelete